International students may apply for on-campus jobs after successfully completing one academic semester.
Students may log in to the "Job Connection" in Pipeline. Use the Advanced Search to filter for "On Campus Jobs - General Employment". You may also inquire in person at the department you are interested in working for.
After receiving a job offer
Go the Human Resources Office in the Student Services building (2nd floor) to pick up an employment packet. The Human Resources Office will verify your eligibility to work on campus with your Advisor in the International Office. If you do not have a U.S. Social Security Number, the Human Resources Office and your Advisor will provide you with instructions.
Do not work until you receive confirmation from the Human Resources Office that you may start working.
OPT Regulations - Student Agreement
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an employment benefit available to F-1 students who complete an associate degree at SBCC. OPT employment authorizations are valid for up to one year and can be used on or off campus. Students should apply for OPT during their last semester.
Recommended application deadline: March 1st if you are graduating in Spring, October 1st if you are graduating in Fall
You are NOT required to have a job offer to apply. When the OPT employment authorization period begins, your employment must be directly related to your major.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO CONSIDER
1. Apply for your associate degree here.
2. Fill out the OPT application form (Form I-765) To download the form go to click here. Type your information onto the form. Tips for filling out the form:
- For question #3: Make sure this address will be valid for at least 120 days. This is where your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will be delivered.
- For question #10: Type the admission number located on your Form I-94 (To print your I-94 record from the U.S. Customs Border & Protection website.)
- For question #16: Type (C) (3) (B)
- Type your telephone number and the date. Print the form. Do NOT sign until until you attend your OPT appointment.
3. Two photos taken no earlier than 30 days before submission of your application. For the required dimensions of the photos, check the Photograph Requirements
4. Processing Fee - $410 money order payable to: Department of Homeland Security. (Personal checks and money orders are accepted)
5. Form G-1145 - You can receive E-notification from DHS when they receive your application by filling out this form.
6. OPT Regulations - Student Agreement (Link to PDF file below). Read carefully BEFORE attending your OPT appointment.
Once you have completed your OPT paperwork, schedule an appointment with your Advisor by calling
Bring the above listed documents and the following listed documents to your appointment.
I-94 Record To print your I-94 record from the U.S. Customs Border & Protection website.
Form I-20's (bring all of the original I-20’s you have been issued, even from previous schools)
OPT Rules and Regulations form