Assembly Bill 705
What is AB 705?
California Assembly Bill 705 requires that a community college maximize the probability:
- That a student will begin and complete transfer-level coursework in English within a one year timeframe
- That a student will begin and complete transfer-level coursework in Math within a one year timeframe
- That a student enrolled in English-as-a-second-language (ESL) instruction will complete ESL and transfer-level coursework in English within a three-year timeframe of declaring of declaring a transfer- or degree-seeking goal.
Placement of students into English and Math courses will be based on one or more of the following:
- high school coursework
- high school grades
- high school grade point average
SBCC is currently in Phase 3 of implementing changes required for compliance for English and Math. English and Math will be in full compliance with this new legislation by Fall 2019. ESL will be in full compliance by Fall 2020.
What this means for SBCC students enrolling for the first time in Summer or Fall 2020 classes
- SBCC's Math and English assessments will no longer be required or used for placement
- When applying to the college, students will provide responses to additional questions regarding their high school coursework, grades, and GPA
- Instead of an assessment test, students will be placed into Math and English courses across the sequences using the information collected in the application
- Students for whom high school data is unavailable will be able to self-report thier high school data on a separate form
- Students seeking to enroll in ESL courses will complete the ESL assessment test
- This page will be updated as additional information becomes available and further changes are made